Back in May, I wrote a post explaining why I hadn’t posted on my blog in 3 whole months! In that post, I wrote about setting priorities and also said that in 6 months time I’d write another post following up. So here I am – better late than never!
In my last post I wrote about my two biggest stresses – work and health. I’ve stopped trying to be perfect at EVERYTHING and I’m now focusing on my work and my health.
At the start of 2017, I had a goal to write a blog post every two weeks, but it quickly fell away as I started getting busier and busier in my design work. It’s so brilliant that I’m busy with projects, but I still ended up beating myself up about not sticking with my blog!
As well as my business growing and improving, I feel like I’ve grown personally in the last few months. I still put a lot of pressure on myself but it’s slowly easing! I now realise that you can let go of goals or change them to suit where your life or business is currently at. That’s not an excuse to give up because it’s not going as easily as you thought, but for example I shouldn’t downplay my success because I didn’t write more blog posts! Celebrate the successes, adjust the goals, and keep going.
So what’s happened over the last few months?
- I’ve started eating more healthily (healthy me, healthy business!) – I’m trying the paleo Whole30 at the moment to start the New Year and I actually enjoy eating paleo with a few exceptions here and there!
- I allowed myself to enjoy my Christmas and New Year without worrying about work (most of my clients took this time off anyway!) and without worrying about how many mince pies I ate!!
- I quit my part-time job and I’m now full-time in my business.
- I’ve stopped beating myself up about not going to the gym and I’ve started doing at home workouts on YouTube – who knew you could get such great workouts for free?! I really recommend PopSugar Fitness!
- I’ve started opening up about my anxiety and taking steps to improve, with yoga, meditation, taking more breaks and pushing myself to do things that I find scary so I’m not cooped up in my apartment 24/7!
- I have raised my prices to more accurately reflect the work that I put in to each project.
- I’ve created a new process for my website design service. I love structure and organisation. When things are a bit all over the place it makes me stressed and it also means I’m not giving each project my full attention. So I’ve introduced the 4 week starter website process and 8 week custom website process! There’s more structure, stricter deadlines for me and the client, and lots of prep work before we start so we can just go go go! I also only work on 2 websites at a time (or I’m meant to, not quite there yet!)
What’s the plan for the next few months?
- I’ve developed a schedule for the New Year that batches tasks together e.g. Friday is my content creation day. I’ll write blog posts, ebooks, newsletters etc on this day. I’ve got a dedicated day off (I haven’t had one of those in 2 years!) and I’ve got a whole day scheduled for marketing. I’m looking forward to seeing how this works out!
- I’m going to be launching a new DIY website guide called ‘Amber in my Pocket’. I can’t wait!
- I’ll be setting up a new and improved newsletter opt-in.
- I’m hoping to offer lots more freebies and information via my blog and newsletter. Sign up here if you haven’t already!
- I’ve wanted to do small business interviews on my blog for a long time but I’ve always thought I should be a massively successful blog first. But I’m going to try doing it the other way round! In the next few months I’m hoping to start doing small business interviews with new and inspiring businesses and I’ll be working hard to get them recognition via these posts and on social media. If you’d like to get involved, please get in touch.
I’m so excited for what this year will bring! It looks like it’s going to be a busy 2018!
What are your goals for the next few months? I’d love to hear them 🙂